Our next square dance will be Friday, May 17th
Les LaLone will calling squares & cueing rounds
Westport Town hall - 7:30 to 10:00 pm
The theme of the dance will be "May Day Dance"
For information about square dancing and our club, call Al & Rosie at 244-1185 or "Contact Us".
Who Are We?
Westport Squares of Madison, Wisconsin is a mainstream level square dance club. We dance every 1st, 3rd, and 5th Fridays of the month and PLUS dances every 2nd Friday, from 7:30 to 10:00 PM at theWestport Town Hall, 5399 Mary Lake Rd. Waunakee. The Town Hall is located off Co Trunk Hwy M on the north side of Madison.
A Brief History of the Westport Squares
The Westport Square Dance Club held its first dance on June 25, 1955. Art Weisensel was the caller and 23 couples attended. The dancing fee was $1.00 a couple and Art received $15.00. The first beginners class began April 11, 1956. Our dances have been held from almost the beginning in a converted cheese house that serves as the town hall for Westport. This small cozy building has a wood floor and is a favorite for all dancers in the area. Art Weisensel served as club caller until his untimely death in 1975. Will Ferderer then became club caller until about 1980 when we went to a guest caller only format. Don Niva taught our new dancer lessons until 2008 when Tom Nickel became the teacher. In 1995 to 2008 Westport had "plus" level dancing with Don Niva calling to satisfy a growing demand. In 2011 Tom Nickel began "plus" dances on the 2nd Friday of the month. Today after 57 years of dancing Westport is still a viable fun club with many active friendly members.
- Club dances are held every 1st, 3rd, & 5th Fridays from 7:30-10:00 PM
- Westport PLUS dances are held 2nd Fridays from 7:30-10:00 PM
- Westport Town Hall is located at 5399 Mary Lake Dr. which is off County Hwy M north of Madison.
- Alternate dance locations are: Lakeview Lutheran Church at 4001 Mandrake Rd, Madison and St. Mary of the Lake Education Center, Mary Lake Rd., Waunakee. (alternate dance locations TBA)
- The Cost is $5.00 per person and $2.50 for youth under 18. The club dances Mainstream with one Plus tip at the end and 2 phase 2 round dances between each square dance tip.
- Members provide a potluck lunch after the dance.
- Square dance attire is optional during hot summer months.
- Square dance lessons begin every September.
- Contact - Al and Rosie (608) 244-1185